The Aspen Institute Germany is a Berlin-based non-profit organization dedicated to promoting the idea of transatlantic community and of a free and open society. It is an advocate for values-based leadership, constructive dialog among conflicting parties, and for Euro-Atlantic cooperation. As a non-partisan think tank it is committed to a multilateral approach and to the discussion around values, politics, and culture. The Institute is a convening platform for decision-makers and experts from the fields of politics, business, academia, media, culture, and civil society.
The Aspen Institute Germany is looking to appoint a new Executive Director with a start date on January 1, 2020.
The Executive Director is the key leadership and management official of the Aspen Institute Germany. He/she is responsible for defining the mission and overall strategic direction of the Institute in conjunction with the Board of Directors and the Board of Trustees. The Executive Director oversees the implementation of the Institute’s strategy and ensures that the organization’s mission is fulfilled through programs, communication, and community outreach. He/she serves as Aspen Germany’s primary spokesperson vis-à-vis its stakeholders, the media, and the general public.
Key qualifications, experiences and skills
- Ten or more years of senior management experience, preferably in the non-profit sector
- Extensive transatlantic network and sustainable ties in the German and American political spheres
- Strong organizational skills, including strategic planning, program development, resource allocation, and task facilitation
- Proven fundraising track record with deep network in business, government, and foundations and demonstrated ability to successfully secure financial resources for program implementation
- Hands-on financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Ability to oversee and empower staff with a leadership style that is both transparent and of the highest integrity
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills (English and German) and the experience and proclivity to be a convincing spokesperson, media communicator, and relationship builder
- Master’s degree or equivalent
Please send your application (letter of motivation, curriculum vitae, relevant references and certificates, evaluation results etc.) with details of your salary expectations to email@example.com until August 31, 2019.
The Aspen Institute Germany offers three-month internships for university students. During the internship, you will learn how a non-profit organization in the political sector works and you will be involved in as many of the Institute’s fields of activity as possible. As a part of the Aspen Institute Germany, you will gain insight into the practices and processes of foreign affairs in Berlin. In addition, you will take part in the public events of the Institute.
The internship includes the following tasks and duties:
- general administrative support of day-to-day activities
- research for the Executive Director
- research for the public program events
- assistance in the preparation and follow-up of public evening events
- support for the preparation of conferences
Applicants should have the following qualifications and skills:
- university enrollment in the 4th to 9th semester of social sciences, humanities, or economics
- knowledge of German-American relations
- excellent German and English skills, ideally proven by periods spent abroad or certificates
- sound knowledge of MS Office software, especially Microsoft Excel
- interest in social media
- knowledge of layout programs of advantage
- existing work or volunteer experience
- a friendly and sincere attitude
- proven ability to perform reliably and diligently
Please submit your application, including your CV and certificates, to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating your preferred starting and end dates.